Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Discussion Questions:

Suppose you have an important message to send to a friend in another city, and you can use the telephone, email, real-time teleconference, fax, or overnight mail service. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each. See if you can think of a situation for each of the five options in which that particular option is the most appropriate choice.

If I had an important message to send to my friend and I had to use telephone: An advantage is that you can instantly connect to a person no matter how far they are and convey your message through a telephone. A couple big disadvantages is that if that person does not have a phone near them, they may not get the message in time. Also, because over the phone, there may be some miscommunication.

If I had an important message to send to my friend and I had to use email: An advantage would be that right there and then, the message is sent and in that person's inbox. A disadvantage is that using email can also bring miscommunication because it is all words. Also if you make a spelling error, you can accidently send something that is vulgar.

If I had an important message to send to my friend and I had to use real-time conference: An advantage would be that I could see and talk to my friend and see them, it would be like we are together but we are not. I think the only disadvantage would be that the internet connection might go bad.

If I had an important message to send to my friend and I had to use fax: An advantage would be that they would get my message exactly the way you write it up but not only does it take time to send the fax but sometimes if the connection is down then what happens is that the fax does not go through and the message just gets lost in space.

If I had an important message to send to my friend and I had to use overnight mail: I think that it is self evident that the biggest consequence would be that the message goes through overnight. It takes time and is not efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment